Pages

Thursday, December 29, 2011

"You is kind. You is smart. You is important." The Help


How precious is this scene from "The Help",  where the maid, Aibileen, says to Mae Mobley, the little daughter of her employer, "You is kind. You is smart. You is important."

The #1 New York Times bestseller by Kathryn Stockett comes to vivid life through the powerful performances of a phenomenal ensemble cast. "The Help" is an inspirational, courageous and empowering story about very different, extraordinary women in the 1960's South who build an unlikely friendship around a secret writing project — one that breaks society’s rules and puts them all at risk. Filled with poignancy, humor and hope — and complete with compelling, never-before-seen bonus features — "The Help" is a timeless, universal and triumphant story about the ability to create change.

Ever since I watched the movie this scene has played over and over in my mind. What an amazing seed of truth to be planted in the mind of a young child every morning by this caring woman. As I was thinking on this I felt the Holy Spirit speak into my thoughts.

"My child that is what I would say to you if you would just listen."

Really?! This is what the Holy Spirit would say over ME if I would just listen? "Are you sure Lord, this is what you think about ME? Wouldn't you be telling me of just how I have fallen short of your Glory and how I am a hopeless mess with out you?"

The Holy Spirit gently went through an explanation of each of these statements with me:

You is kind.

In Galations 5:25 the Lord says to His own people, "If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit." Just above that verse, the Lord tells us that the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. When the Holy Spirit takes up residence inside us "we is kind."

You is smart.

I Corinthians 2:16 tells me that I have the mind of Christ. Philippians 2:5 tells me to "let this same mind be in you that was in Christ Jesus." And then there is I Corinthians 1:30 that tells me that "by His doing, I am in Christ Jesus who was made to be my wisdom." Of course I is smart!

You is important.

Psalms 17:8 reminds me that He guards me as the apple of His eye. I know that my Lord rejoices over me with singing because he tells me in Zephaniah 3:17. In Psalms 91, verse 14, just because I love him (which is only my response to the fact that he first loved me! I John 4:19) he will deliver me and honor me.

The Holy Spirit continued to speak into my heart - "For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you hope in your final outcome." Jeremiah 29:11

"For if anyone only listens to the Word without obeying it and being a doer of it, he is like a man who looks carefully at his [own] natural face in a mirror;

For he thoughtfully observes himself, and then goes off and promptly forgets what he was like.

But he who looks carefully into the faultless law, the [law] of liberty, and is faithful to it and perseveres in looking into it, being not a heedless listener who forgets but an active doer [who obeys], he shall be blessed in his doing (his life of obedience)." James 1:23-25

We, as humans, are all bombarded with messages of our own imperfections, unrealistic standards of "Photoshoped" heroes - we fight a constant battle of negativity and fragile pride - a distorted image of our true selves created in the image of God is lost. Looking into the mirror of the faultless law of liberty is not only to reveal to us the wickedness of our carnal nature, but also to give us a vision of who we are in Christ.

We forget so easily who we are as Children of the Light. We must be reminded daily that -
We is kind. We is smart. We is important.

No comments:

Post a Comment