Pages

Saturday, December 31, 2011

2011 - Books I Read This Year

I have over 50 book titles on my Kindle Fire right now but I start a book and then move on to another one before I finish it - gleaning what I need to and then moving on to another provocative title. I've really tried to change my ways and finish ever book that I start but...I just keep reading 50 books at once. My Kindle makes that such an easy habit to cultivate. {sigh} I created the list below first and now I am adding this introduction because actually I was afraid I wouldn't be able to make a very long list because of my habit of reading so many books at once. I'm happy with this short list and it has inspired me to reach new goals in 2012. I'd love to hear about the books that inspired you this year and what you'll be reading next year. On some of the descriptions below I borrowed the words from the publisher because it described the details of the book better than I wanted to take the time to do on my own. However, where I talk about how the the message of book made me feel or how I grew because of the content...that's all me baby.

  1. The Healing Code: 6 Minutes to Heal the Source of Your Health, Success, or Relationship Issue
    By Alex Loyd, Phd, ND, Ben Johnson, MD, NO, NMD / Grand Central, Life & Style

    This book really changed my thinking about a lot of things related to the health of my soul - mind, will and emotions - and how my thoughts, emotions and imaginations are blocking the health and wholeness of my body and success in life. I would buy this book for everyone I know if I think they might read it.

  2. Rite of Passage Parenting: Four Essential Experiences to Equip Your Kids for Life
    By Walker Moore / Thomas Nelson

    I was really amazed at this authors claim that our society invented the term "adolescence" to delay the time when our children took on adult responsibilities. There is no clear cut "rite of passage" in our American culture that transfers our children to responsible adults. The author, Walker Moore, gave insight on how this affects our children now and in generations to come. He shares practical ideas on how to bring your own children through a rite of passage that prepares them to move into responsible  adulthood as caring and productive individuals in our homes, communities and culture. I read this book because of a college class I was in this last year on child development. I wanted a Christian perspective on the transition from childhood to adulthood. I was very pleased when I found this book. Read it in an afternoon. I have 3 teenagers...very relevant information for my life right now.

  3. The Bondage Breaker, New Edition
    By Neil T. Anderson / Harvest House Publishers
    I've read through this book once before but went through it again with a wonderful young woman in my churches youth group. The refresher was really good. Sometimes I just loose track of the things that once had me in such bondage and the enemy tries to slip those chains on again. That is why the scripture says in Hebrews 2:1 (Amp), " Since all this is true, we ought to pay much closer attention than ever to the truths that we have heard, lest in any way we drift past [them] and slip away."

  4. Becoming a Man of Unwavering Faith
    By John Osteen / FaithWords

    A powerful guidebook from a man who spent a lifetime testing the limits of faith! Drawn from Osteen's sermons, this collection offers practical advice for the moments of struggle and temptation every man faces.This book was rich with principles of faith that can be put in practice by anyone that desires to "walk by faith". It's a very easy read but also very powerful as a faith builder.

    I love the Osteen family. When I was 14 years old we were traveling the country and my step-dad was preaching in various churches. We stopped at John Osteen's church and stayed on his property with our travel trailer. I even had lunch with Joel, who was home from college. We were having lunch in the churches cafeteria and my friend, Linda, got us a seat with Joel. We talked about the book of Isaiah.

  5. So Long, Insecurity: You've Been a Bad Friend to Us, Hardcover
    By Beth Moore / Tyndale House

    Beth' s passion to see God free women from their insecurities and fears evolved into an online survey of more than 950 women and 150 men that ultimately resulted in the publication of this book, So Long, Insecurity. Partly autobiographical in nature, Beth Moore uses stories, prayers, and practical ideas to nudge women out of insecurity and into knowledge of their God-given dignity. No matter your age or status, you can learn to battle insecurity with God's truth.

    I really loved this book. Beth Moore is so authentic that the message of this book feel like she's been reading my mind. I am still reaping fruit in growth from the reading of this book. In fact, my dearest, bestest friend bought it for me on cd so that I could listen to it.

  6. Bought with Blood: The Divine Exchange at the Cross
    By Derek Prince / Chosen

    This book was powerful for me. Derek Prince brought greater insight on what Jesus Christ paid to be mine by born again inheritance. Our Christian culture lives like we're orphans when we have access to the greatest inheritance - it's like making the sacrifice of God's son of no effect in our lives. What a waste when it cost him so much. In gratitude I want to experience all that Christ paid for on Calvary.

    At the cross Christ endured all the evil due you and in turn made available to you all the good due Him. In this provocative, Scripture-rich book, acclaimed author Prince explores the nine "divine exchanges" of the atonement. In place of punishment, wounding, death, poverty, shame and rejection, Christ freely offers forgiveness, healing, life, abundance, glory and acceptance. In addition, Prince gives biblical grounding for five areas of deliverance that Jesus makes available through the cross: deliverance from this present evil age, from the law, from self, from the flesh and from the world.

    Because it is not enough simply to know about the atonement, Prince presents the means by which you can make it true in your personal experience: repentance, faith and a relationship with the Holy Spirit. This new edition of a life-changing book includes a mini-study course at the end of each chapter, perfect for individual or small group study.
I started many other but for whatever reason haven't finished them. I am committed to getting through more books in 2012. My life was enriched and I reclaimed more territory that was once tied up in bondage.

"I will keep him in perfect peace
whose mind is stayed on me"
Isaiah 26:3
My other love is listening to some audio version of ministry while I multi-task. I'll create another list of the ministry that I listen to this last year. There are some speakers that I can listen to their messages over and over hundreds of times. I know that sounds crazy but I catch something new every time I listen. Managing my  thoughts and re-engineering my life through what I watch, and listen to has become a way of life that suits me well - very well. God has done much to preserve me and heal me through some painful times.

For many of the struggles I am "on the other side" experiencing victory that I never would have thought possible. In fact I can see that my careful management of my thoughts and thought habits were the key to my victory. I am so glad I chose the thoughts that God gave me rather than those natural to the pain that I was in  at the time.

Here's a great suggestion for next years reading...
423825: Life, in Spite of Me: Extraordinary Hope After a Fatal Choice Life, in Spite of Me: Extraordinary Hope After a Fatal Choice
By Kristen Jane Anderson / Multnomah

Kristen Anderson wanted to die---but God had other plans. Recounting her miraculous survival of a suicide attempt in which a train severed her legs, Kristen shares how her newfound faith in God helped her overcome severe depression and shame, as well as the challenges of permanent physical disability. Discover how she found fulfillment serving God!

No comments:

Post a Comment